Climbing to the top of Mount Batur via Culali
Climbing Mount Batur via Culali is not as easy as climbing via other routes such as Pasar Agung and the Toya Bungkah route. By other routes, climbing to the top of Mount Batur only takes around 1.5 to 2 hours of travel; however, using this route, the climb can take more than 3 hours.
Residents also know the climbing route via Culali as the Bukit Mentik temple route. It is said that, apart from going through the black lava route, you can also start climbing from the temple parking lot. This is the longest of the four existing Mount Batur climbing routes. From the parking lot to the main peak, it takes quite a long time to travel. On average, climbers need 2.5–3 hours to climb.
The Road to the Top of Mount Batur
We can say that the road to the top of Mount Batur is quite easy when compared to other mountain-climbing roads in Bali. Mount Batur itself is the shortest mountain in Bali, with its main peak only 1717 meters above sea level.
One of the routes we most recommend is via Toya Bungkah. The existing motorbike taxi community has opened more than 70% of the road when climbing through Toya Bungkah. Currently, motorbikes with large CCs can reach a height of 1570 meters above sea level, only 15-20 minutes from the top of the mountain.
Apart from Toya Bungkah, you can also choose the Pura Pasar Agung route. For this route, you can travel up to 1430 meters above sea level by riding a motorcycle or car. The road to this point is paved and very flat, so it is easy to walk. However, when you start climbing, you will immediately encounter a fairly steep, rocky path. On this rocky road, you will spend more than 30 minutes. Not only that, 30 minutes later you will be faced with a sandy path, which may be quite draining.
If you choose a climbing package and Mount Batur trekking price from baliventur.com, you can also decide for yourself which route or road you will choose. However, for various reasons and considerations, we will first offer you the Toya Bungkah route.
The Challenge of Climbing Mount Batur Via the Culali Route
The climbing route has more challenges compared to other routes. If you already have enough experience climbing other mountains, maybe this won’t feel difficult. However, if you are still a beginner, it is better to think carefully before deciding to climb Mount Batur via Culali.
During the journey, you will pass a fairly long sandy path for more than an hour. Even though it is still relatively flat, this will also be quite draining on your energy later. Plus, if you climb Mount Batur without a guide in the dark, sometimes it will be a little confusing because in the dark the road is not very clear.
Because the route is quite sandy and has long rocks, climbing this route would be better if equipped with overnight camping in the places provided around the new crater of Mount Batur. Then the next day (maybe at 4.30 or 5.00), you can continue your journey to the top via rocky roads.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Climbing Via the Culali Route
Just like climbing other mountains, on average, each mountain has at least two climbing route options that we can use. As we mentioned above, Mount Batur has four route options that you can choose from. Each existing route has its uniqueness, advantages, and disadvantages. Below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of climbing Mount Batur via Culali:
Advantages of climbing the Culali route:
Below are 3 unique things or advantages of the Culali route:
- First, the climbing route via Culali is quite challenging, so it is good for those of you who like adventure. This will give a deeper impression of your climb on Mount Batur.
- Second, through this route, you can also see the second crater of Mount Batur, which is also known as the new crater. For your information, this crater last erupted in 2000 and is a more active crater compared to other craters.
- Third, or last, on this route, there is an area for camping. The camping site is quite large and can accommodate more than a hundred tents. This place is also safe for you to spend the night before continuing your climb to the peak the next day.
Disadvantages of Culali Route Climbing:
The following are some of the disadvantages of the Culali route:
- The road leading to the start point of the Culali climb is quite steep and full of sharp turns. Additionally, many trucks carrying sand and lava rock traverse this road. This means that during your trip, you may run into them.
- The climbing route via Culali is quite long, up and down, a total of 13 kilometers, much longer compared to other routes, which are only 7 to 9 kilometers. If you are not a true adventurer, this route is not the right choice.
- This climbing route is located in the western part of Mount Batur, making it not good for climbing before sunrise. Why is that? This is because if you are late, you will miss the opportunity to watch the sunrise.
Tips for Climbing Via Culali
The following are some tips that you can use if you are going to climb Mount Batur via Culali:
- The climbing route is quite clear, especially if you climb in the afternoon or morning. However, it would be much better if you invited friends who have been through this route before. If you still feel unsure about eating, using the services of an experienced Mount Batur guide is the most appropriate choice.
- Before heading to Culali, we strongly recommend that you check the condition of your car or motorcycle first. Make sure the tires, brakes, clutch, fuel, and engine are in good and prime condition. This is because the road you will be driving on is quite uphill and challenging. Apart from that, the distance between the workshop and Culali is also quite far.
- Now the last thing is that if you want to climb to see the sunrise, then you have to start climbing much earlier. The best time to start climbing is 2 p.m. With this, you can reach the peak before 6 p.m. Apart from that, you can also camp overnight and start climbing the next day at 5:00.
Climbing Mount Batur via the Culali route will certainly provide a more exciting experience compared to using other routes. However, you also have to consider everything first, such as your physical and mental readiness, the condition of the vehicle, and the load of equipment you will bring if you want to make an overnight camp here.
It would be even better if you invited lots of friends to make this climbing adventure via Culali more exciting and impressive. Make sure there is at least one person in your group who knows the ins and outs of the Culali route well.